Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Yummy Yummy Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

It has been a while, summer and another project I am working on has kidnapped me! So anyways...

I was on the hunt for a scalloped potato recipe. I am all about what I can make (easily & quickly) without compromising our budget (also without the additives from boxed stuff). That being said, I just couldn't find one I liked so I just decided to go for the gusto! This made quite a bit, but I would double it and freeze half of it for another night!
(excuse the missing spot down there...they were just too yummy to not taste before dinner! HAHA!)
Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Ingredients

5 cups sliced thinly Potatoes (I used the mandolin to do this, you can use the food processor)
4 tablespoons Butter
4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
2 cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
1 1/3 teaspoons salt
Dash of ground Pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar/monterrey jack - reserve 2/3 cups for the topping*
1/3 teaspoon Paprika

Directions

Boil potato slices in salted water for 10-15 minutes.**

In small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
Let the mixture sit for a minute.
Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
Reduce heat and stir in 1 1/3 cups of cheese.
Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased casserole dish (I used a rectangular pan)
Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
Sprinkle the remaining 2/3 cups of cheese on top.
Top with some paprika for color.
Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes at 350°F.**
Let stand for about 5 minutes and then enjoy!
*You can use all cheddar but I didn't want it greasy.
**You could skip the boiling and cook for 1 hour at 350°F.
Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment